Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Eating Oatmeal Each Day

I really am trying to take it one day at a time. Yesterday I spent a great deal of time in bed (mostly keeping warm) and I forgot to blog. I forget many things these days, but I suspect that is natural. Sometimes I forget to eat (although you would not know it to look at me). Eating three meals a day is one of my new goals. Today I ate a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Yesterday, I thought about eating a bowl of oatmeal and had a piece of cake instead. 
That cake is actually not just any cake. It was one of my mom's recipes. Actually, when I was growing up, my mom never really cooked at all. I learned to cook very young and went to work in restaurants very early as a result of this. When she passed away, I got many of my mom's possessions and several steno notebooks. I have a hard time giving away anything of hers (yes, even curlers) so I still have those steno notebooks. Mainly I like to look at her handwriting. It's a connection to her that I hold onto. Well, she must have spent hours copying these recipes (which she never made). I made one of the cakes that was in the notebook. Wow! It was so good, like a gift from the beyond from my mom. I suspect she would be proud of how I'm doing. I miss her too. I wish she was here now, but maybe she is in heaven enjoying the company of my love (which I could believe since he was so charming). Actually, in her own way, my mom was pretty charming too. That cake--really charming. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment