Thursday, June 27, 2013

Interview With a Vampire and a Grieving Woman

It is strange to remember how the 1970s turned into the 80s and how the new millennium came to us so quickly. In the 70s I would  reach adulthood and meet my love. In the 80s I would come to know him and love him better than anyone. During those years, I would develop a love of reading that would stay with me always. In the mid 1970s, Anne Rice wrote a book called Interview With The Vampire. Today, vampires and vampire stories are very popular, but in those days they weren't so much. I'm not sure why I loved this book so much, but I suspect it had something to do with immortality. The characters could not die. The only problem with that was that they would never grow old. This sounds like a good thing, and I suppose my love was so great that I wanted this for my man. Still, he was no vampire and one day he did die. This morning I watched the movie which they made from the book. I could really relate with the character Lestat. He was doomed to walk the earth watching the people he cared about die and still living on himself. It made me think about all the people I have loved and lost and still I carry on. I can now see that living forever is not meant to be. It would keep us in a kind of limbo. Being human isn't easy, but being a vampire and it's promise of immortality are out of the question. I'll just be here now and what tomorrow brings I will accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment