Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Free Nelson Mandela

He looks around, around
He sees angels in the architecture
Spinning in infinity
He says, “Amen!” and “Hallelujah!”
               --Paul Simon "You Can Call Me Al"

One of the first songs my love and I shared as a couple was "I Just Called to Say I love You" by Stevie Wonder. For so very long we were kept apart and with this song, each time I heard it, we were able to be together. I did not know this song was banned in South Africa during Apartheid. The absolute favorite song writer of my love was Paul Simon. He bought the Graceland album and listened to it over and over. He even bought the Graceland concert VHS when it became available. I still watch that concert and I can sing every word. My love and I had the chance to hear Archbishop Desmond Tutu speak as Apartheid unraveled. My love was very interested in the injustice of apartheid and was so happy when Mandela was released. Tonight Mr. Mandela's family is faced with the sorrowful task of letting him go. How do you let go of someone you love so much? I suppose it is by grace. I pray for the people who are caring for Mr. Mandela to have the strength to let him go. As much as we want to, we must let all the ones we love go. I so wish that this was not so. Good night sweet prince! You too have been loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment