Monday, July 8, 2013

Hafez & The Story of Us



Whenever the road my love and I faced together became puzzling or difficult, my love would take out a book called The Odes of Hafez. He had some incantation he would recite (which I can't exactly remember or translate) and open to a "ordained" page. This was always fun for us even in the face of some seemingly difficult situations. I will miss those times, but after today I will use a new book and open it to an "ordained" page whenever I need that understanding that my love and Hafez always gave me.
I keep getting lured deeper and deeper into the Internet and honestly I have learned so much. Is that because I no longer feel the same about my world as I did last year at this time? Maybe. It could be because the Internet gives me an interesting diversion from grieving (which I know is not necessarily a good thing). Yesterday, I spent the entire day working on this "new" book which is about my life with my love. I imported every decent picture I could get my hands on from old photo cd's I had not looked at in years. I chose layouts and colors and wrote text to tell the story of us. Of course it made me cry, but I had to admit that my life has been filled with love and joy. I just love to look at the book. Since it is being published by Shutterfly (self publishing company) on the Internet, it will come in the mail in a week or two. The next volume of my life has begun. There is no stopping it.

I Have Learned So Much
by Hafez
I 
Have 
Learned 
So much from God 
That I can no longer 
Call 
Myself 

A Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim, 
a Buddhist, a Jew. 

The Truth has shared so much of Itself 
With me 

That I can no longer call myself 
A man, a woman, an angel, 
Or even a pure 
Soul. 

Love has 
Befriended Hafiz so completely
It has turned to ash 
And freed 
Me 

Of every concept and image 
my mind has ever known.

From: 'The Gift'  
Translated by Daniel Ladinsky

No comments:

Post a Comment