Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Raindrops and Condolences

Raindrops keep falling on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Crying's not for me
Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothing's worrying me   --BJ Thomas

I remember as a very young girl, long before I met my love, my oldest brother took me to see the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." Paul Newman and Robert Redford played in it. I of course fell in love with the character the Sundance Kid, played by Robert Redford. He was the "bad boy" and of course in the path of my life, this is the type of man to which I was always attracted. It was the character of Butch Cassidy played by Paul Newman that was the "good guy" and of course the sweetest and most empathetic character. Somehow, at that really impressionable age of eight, I got the idea that my older brother was the embodiment of Butch Cassidy. He is a funny guy, my brother, and he can really tell a joke or be tough when he needs to. Still, he never approved of my love and my brother and I grew apart during the last 30 years. When my love died last year, my brother sent no condolences and never called. It pains me over and over. I should let it go. It shouldn't matter, but it does. My favorite part of the movie my brother took me to is when Butch and schoolteacher Etta Place (played by Katherine Ross) goof around on a bicycle. This was a sweet scene and possibly influenced me more than anything in becoming a school teacher (who can say?), but that's the image I have of my brother. Just a funny guy goofing around on a bicycle.  I really don't have to many other memories of him from my childhood. Hmm. That's it for me because..well, crying's not for me. I love that song.

No comments:

Post a Comment